Get control of your color quality with color Process Automation Technology
color Process Automation Technology (cPAT) with ACLCC by Plastore and Hunter Lab for plastics manufacturing, is a fully integrated, online color measurement and control solution. Tailored to meet the needs of plastics manufacturers. From plastic sheet manufacturing, to window profile, vinyl siding, custom profile and compounding, cPAT offers best practices and automated solution tools to improve manufacturing efficiencies, ensure product quality, and reduce overall costs.
Predict and Troubleshoot Production.
Today’s plastic extrusion color control process relies a bit on ‘black magic’ to be successful. Time-interval based color monitoring is insufficient in providing information on baseline, variation or improvement opportunities. The process is not very controllable, predictable or often times even understandable. cPAT eliminates the ‘black magic’, making the process something that operators can control, predict and troubleshoot.
cPAT for plastics manufacturing moves the production color QC
process, from one of time-interval based color measurements and
manual adjustments, to one of real-time color monitoring, automated
closed-loop color control, and automated defect containment. Benefits include:
- Reduced operational costs
- Process Yield Improvements
- Cost Reduction through Material savings
- Improve Operator Efficiencies
- Better Equations for Green Initiatives and Carbon Footprint Reductions
- Increased Customer Satisfaction
- Improved shareholder/stakeholder value
Description of the color Process Automation Technology (cPAT) with ACLCC operation with a Plasticolor 2000
The system consists of a Spectra Trend HT high resolution, lab-grade color spectrophotometer from Hunter Lab designed for in-line color monitoring,
and a PLC with closed-loop color control software developed by Plastore, Inc. The solution uses colorimetric data
from the spectrophotometer to control the feeder rate, adjusting material flow automatically to maintain color within
preset color tolerances. The PLC allows programming downstream actions such as short cutting boards or sorting
when the system indicates color is out of spec.
- Online, real-time color measurement and monitoring
- Touch screen PLC with easy to set up and operator friendly color-control software
- Automated closed-loop color control
- Outputs for downstream defect containment
- Historic data logging and storage for retrieval via USB or remotely on a network by FTP
- Process variables charted in real-time with 100 scans of data storage for on screen viewing
- Calibration reminders automatically displayed based on number of scans and time.
Process Automation Technology (cPAT) is a fully integrated, online color measurement and
color control solution tailored to meet the needs of plastics processors. This unique system
allows for continuous color monitoring, automated feeder adjustments based on color
measurements taken directly from the process stream, and enables downstream containment
of defective product. Applications include:
- Sheet Plastic
- Vinyl Siding
- Window Profile
- Other custom profile